Sequence and Symmetry: UNI Permanent Art Collection
January 25, 2021 to April 5, 2021
Curated by Gallery Director Darrell Taylor and installed in the Main Room (B). Its purpose is to offer art students, staff, and faculty a place to view art during on campus in-person instruction. COVID-19 protocols are in place, so masks must be worn, social distancing must be observed, and only 10 persons are allowed in the space at a time.
31 art objects from the UNI Permanent Art Collection are on display for much of the spring 2021 semester and include prints by M.C. Escher, Herbert Bayer, Edna Andrade, and Robert Indiana as well as bronzes by Antonio Virduzzo and a couple of variations on Josef Albers’ Homage to the Square. Also on view are several Seagrove-tradition ceramics from the Lawrence W.S. Auld Collection and a painting series based on the Fibonacci sequence by Dutch artist Marianne Lipschitz Jørgensen from the Lois E. Iseminger Collection.
List of Works:
- Jørgensen, Marianne Lipschitz (Danish), Untitled, 8 drawings in mixed media, Japanese pen on vellum, ca. 2005.
- Bayer, Herbert (Austrian American), Untitled, screenprint, ed. XII/XVI, n.d.
- Ness, Gary (American), Symphony I, serigraph, ed. 3/10, 1983.
- Bolotowsky, Ilya (Russian American), Interlocking Reds, serigraph on Arches paper, ed. 32/75, 1970.
- Andrade, Edna (American), Boxes, lithograph, ed. V/V, 1971.
- Albers, Josef (German), Homage to the Square: Blue Call, oil on aluminum, 1955-58.
- Albers, Josef (German), White Line Square II, lithograph, ed. 31/125, 1966.
- Virduzzo, Antonio (American), Sun, bronze, ca. 1970.
- Virduzzo, Antonio (American), Leaf, bronze, ca. 1970.
- Escher, M.C. (Dutch), Encounter, lithograph, ed. 34/200, 1944.
- Unknown Pakistani Artist (Pakistan), Untitled, earthenware, n.d.
- Szyk, Arthur (Polish American), The Cup of Elijah, inkjet print, ed. 20/300, 1935 and 2008.
- Alex Matisse (American), Untitled, wood-fired ceramic, ca. 2009.
- Carolyn Nygren Curran (American), Untitled, raku-fired ceramic, ca. 2006.
- Darrin Darazsdi (American), Turquoise Egyptian Carved Vase, raku-fired ceramic, 2005.
- Whiting, Margaret (American), Trachea and Deer Fur, gelatin silver print, 1992.
- Whiting, Margaret (American), Colon and Cactus Ribs, gelatin silver print, 1992.
- Whiting, Margaret (American), Taste Buds and Fossilized Fungus, gelatin silver print, 1992.
- Indiana, Robert (American), The Golden Future of America, screenprint, ed. 150/175, 1976.
- Dion, Mark (American), Shark Barr, screenprint, ed. B.A.T. (bon a tirer), 2017.
- Stone, Michael (American), No Way Out, digital collage, ed. 10/25, 2010.
- Edgerton, Dr. Harold (American), Pigeon Released, dye transfer print, 1965.
- Scotchie, Virginia (American), Palladium Knob Bowl, ceramic, 2015.
- Manglano-Ovalle, Inigo (Spanish American), Untitled, silver-plated bullet, black velvet drawstring bag, 1999.